Would you ever butter someone up?

Have you ever needed something from someone a lot? Maybe you needed someone to do something for you so much that you buttered them up first. Do you know someone who is a sweet talker and often gets what they want? Or would you kiss someone’s butt? In this episode we give you lots of examples of things people might say to get someone to do something for them. There’s a lot of flattery!

Maura Harp btn_lipservice.gif

Maura: It’s like you’re preparing that person, getting that person ready, so that when you ask them for something, they’re feeling good and they’re more likely to say yes.
Harp: OK, that’s a good point. To butter someone up is when you say nice things so they’re feeling good and they’ll do something for you.
Maura: Yeah. So Harp, have you ever buttered someone up?
Harp: Yes, definitely. The example that I think of was when I was younger…I would always butter up my mom in the morning in the hopes that she would give me a ride to work.
Maura: Yeah. So Harp, have you ever buttered someone up?
Maura: I see, right. Yeah, we often butter up our parents when we’re younger, right? We say, “Ah, mom, dad, I love you. You’re so great. You’re the best.” And then you ask them, “Could I have a ride?” or “Can I have the keys to the car?” and you hope they’ll say yes because you buttered them up.

Expression included from this episode in Lipservice:

to butter someone up sounds like budder
in the hopes that I’m good, I’m good
brings out the colour in your eyes a raise
about to in return
recipe it is delicious
he was a sweet talker to flatter
compliment to mean it
to sweet talk a sweet talker
to get away with to be on good terms with
to kiss someone’s butt butt

Podcast/ Lipservice: Culips ESL Podcast, Photo: Beverly & Pack

Posted in Catch Word

Comments

1. rholata@sendme.cz' Robert Holata says:

Hello,
    I just wanna let you know that this Lipservice has a bad link. It´s for Lipservice_CW69_OverMyHead.

2. esmaeil.esfahan@gmail.com' Esmaeil Esfahani says:

Hi,
    I just wanted to say that you’re definitely the best podcast I’ve ever listened to. I’m not buttering you up, I’m just telling you the truth. :)

3. philippebouhanna@mac.com' philippe Bouhanna says:

Hi culips team i am new listener of culip from Paris France.
    I found that your’s podcast is very good and best as compare to other podcast. thank you for your work.
    Maura, can you give me the name of the song at the end of each episode ?
    Thank’s

4. Jessie says:

Hi guys,

Thanks for your kind and useful comments!

Robert – Thanks for letting us know about the bad link. We’ve fixed it and it should be working properly now.

Esmaeil – Thanks for the nice compliment. And that’s a great use of the idiom!

Philippe – Welcome to Culips! The songs and sounds that we play in our podcasts come from a special computer program called “GarageBand,” which provides different music clips and sound effects that anyone who buys the program can use. The song that we use at the end of each episode is called “Curtain Call.” Unfortunately, it’s only available through the GarageBand program.

Thanks again for submitting your comments everyone. Have a great day!

Jessie

5. shesghel_2009@yahoo.com' shesghel says:

the podcast is good but in my book the pictures can be better for people who we call human.you worth more than pictures that you have in this episode.we are the best creatures so best things are our right. sorry for bad grammer

6. tiong7787@gmail.com' tiong says:

Hi! I think to butter someone up, to sweet talk to someone and to kiss someone’s butt are actually a good behavior because to do so people would feel good feel happy and that is helpful and even is an essential manner in improving relationship with other people, but we must use it moderately. Thank you.