Working for a Living

Are you working right now? Are you thinking about coming to Canada to work? Are you going to working one day? I think that’s about everybody! Listen to this episode to find out about working in Canada. Harp and Maura talk about what it is like to work in Canada and share their own experiences in their first jobs. Harp also offers lost of tips of looking for work, in case you’re thinking of coming to Canada to work.

Maura Harp btn_lipservice.gif

Maura: What about vacation time?
Harp: Well, unlike our European listeners, we only get 2 weeks of holidays as a general rule in Canada.
Maura: Right, but that’s only when you start?
Harp: Yes.
Maura: After a few years, you get another week and another week, right?
Harp: Exactly. My parents have a lot more vacation time that I do because they’ve been working for a lot longer. I’m still at 2 weeks.
Maura: Yeah, only 2 weeks. But you also get the other holidays.
Harp: Yup exactly. So in Canada, depending on what province, you get 8 or 9 stat holidays.

Expression included from this episode in Lipservice:

Working conditions A recruiter
9 to 5 Who knew?
Overtime Stat holidays
A resume or a CV Monster, workopolis, jobboom
HR/human resources Cold calling
To break the ice To stand out
Linkedin To get sick of/tired of
Drive-thru

Podcast/ Lipservice: Culips ESL Podcast, Photo: Feuillu

Tagged with:
Posted in Chatterbox

Comments

1. amrwady1972@hotmail.com' Amr Wady says:

Hello Maura,

I’d like to thank you for this great podcast and telling us about your first job and your real life English.
    I guess that podcast will be handy to improve our real English.

Have a ball,

Amr Wady.
    From Egypt.

Thanks! I really like my first job so it was a pleasure to reminisce about it. Did you like your first job?

Did you listen to the episode about “handy” on our site or did you already know it? Either way, good use of it!

3. amrwady1972@hotmail.com' Amr Wady says:

Hello Maura,

I am one of your fans and I really like my first job. I am a lawyer now and I listened to all of your podcasts specially your podcast regarding handy, have a ball too.

Thanks in advance,
    Amr Wady.
    From Egypt.

4. mohamedaeladawy@gmail.com' Mohamed ElAdawy says:

Nice topic Maura ,thank you.

5. tiong7787@gmail.com' tiong says:

Hi Maura, I’m new here. I’ve just listened to a few of your podcast only. Culips.com gives me a feeling of freshness probably because all the hosts are youth, I’m sure my English will get improve if I immerse myself in here.
    I will go to Canada some day, but for traveling not for working. Thank you very much.

Thanks for all the compliments. If there is anything you want to know more about or have a suggestion for an episode, send us a message!