Tips for Canadian job interviews

Job InterviewHarp is back by popular demand with more advice on looking for work. This time Harp gives advice on everything about the interview process. She talks about how to prepare, what to do during the interview, and how to follow up afterwards. You’ll get some tips about the Canadian job hunt, and hear some of the related vocabulary. But really, this is a great episode for just about anyone looking for a job!

Maura Harp btn_lipservice.gif

Maura: Now, another question I have is about dressing, because some people don’t know whether to wear a suit or dress more casually.
Harp: I think that you should dress professionally, and there’s always that saying, dress for the job that you want, not the job that you’re interviewing for, so if you want to be a manager, wear a suit. It’s better to be overdressed than underdressed. So don’t wear jeans, don’t wear something you would wear to go clubbing, don’t wear anything that’s ripped. Wear clean, professional-looking clothes, even just a sweater and dress pants if they’re clean, ironed, professional looking.
Maura: That’s good advice. So, you must have some advice for us now during the interview, when everyone is the most nervous. What can we do to be successful?
Harp: You know, before I went into recruitment, one of my friends told me she goes into in an interview always telling herself she can get this job. So she’s so confident. You know, she’s passed every single interview? She’s gotten every single job she’s interviewed for.

Expressions included from this episode in Lipservice:

Back by popular demand Tips and advice
To be pumped Press releases
To google it To set you apart
To think on your feet The trick
To put a positive spin on something Dress for the job you want, not the job you’re interviewing for
Overdressed and underdressed The thank-you email

Podcast/ Lipservice: Culips ESL Podcast, Photo: Lewis Minor

Posted in Chatterbox

Comments

1. isacsoares@hotmail.com' Isac says:

After to listen this episode about the job interview, I ´m prepared to get a job in North America JAJAJA , especially CANADA, Thank´s Maura and Harp for more this amazing episode. KIsses And Hugs from Brazil!

2. samvalarty@yahoo.com' Valerie says:

I think job interview are very stressful, especially in France where the unemployment rate is astronomical and unfortunately, there is a lot of competition.
    This is the reason I chose to be my own boss and I said Adios the job interviews.
    Become rich and independent is only possible when you are the boss. Employee live with a ‘mediocre’ salary and it’s not fun at all.

Being your own boss is a great thing, especially if the job market in your country is not good. On the other hand, if you want to work for someone else than Harp’s advice is really great. I really learned some tips from doing this episode with Harp.

Thanks for your comments!

4. amrwady1972@hotmail.com' Amr Wady says:

Hello Maura and Harp,

I really appreciate your great efforts and could you tell me more about some websites are specialist in making CV’s forms?

Thanks in advance,

Amr Wady.

From Egypt.

5. amrwady1972@hotmail.com' Amr Wady says:

Hello Maura and Harp,

Is it ok if you could provide me by a website specialist in resume form. I’d be grateful for your help.

Thanks in advance,

Amr Wady.

From Egypt.

6. amrwady1972@hotmail.com' Amr Wady says:

Hello Maura and Harp,

Thank you for answering my questions.

Have a nice weekend,

Amr.

7. sturialejan@gmail.com' Jan Sturiale says:

Really fun the last part on the guy scheduling another job interview! Too crazy!
    Bye