Don’t cry over spilled (spilt) milk

Spilled milk
It is always good advice to accept things in the past that you cannot change, and that’s what this episode is all about! Don’t cry over spilled milk is an expression that warns against being stuck in the past too much. As usual, we look at different situations when you can use this expression. We also look at its origin, and find some similar expressions.

Jessie Maura btn_lipservice.gif

Maura: Oh man, I can’t believe we lost the basketball game. It was the last game of the season. Man! It was all my fault.
Jessie: Maura, don’t be so hard on yourself. It wasn’t your fault.
Maura: No, it was all my fault. I had the ball, I should’ve passed it, but I didn’t, and now we lost, and I can’t believe it.
Jessie: Well, I think it could have happened to anyone. But even it if was your fault, there’s no use crying over spilled milk. You made a mistake, but you can practice and the next game you’ll do better.
Maura: I don’t know. I’m still so depressed. So, in that example, I definitely was upset about the basketball game and I didn’t want to move on. I was really upset with myself.
Jessie: Right. And even though I didn’t think you should be blaming yourself in the first place, I also didn’t think you should be crying over spilled milk, regretting something that’s already in the past.

Expressions included from this episode in Lipservice:

Don’t cry over spilt milk – negative To go back in time
To move on To be upset with yourself
To be hard on yourself Potluck
Spilled vs. spilt No weeping for shed milk
What’s done is done The past is the past

Podcast/ Lipservice: Culips ESL Podcast, Photo: Culips ESL Podcast

Posted in Catch Word

Comments

1. flckem7@gmail.com' Tedd says:

Not to cry over spilled milk, I do my best in everything :)

2. jawad_ali_1989@yahoo.com' Jawad Ali says:

I like this podcast very much. I’m Jawad Ali from Pakistan. I listen your podcasts daily. Please don’t stop these podcasts. I have a suggention for you ,if you will record three podcasts in a week, it will improve me very quick. Thanks alot………….

3. romualdojr@norserge.com.br' Romualdo Junior says:

I love this podcast. This a proverb that I learned 10 years ago.

Here in Brazil we have the same expression, and we say: ” não adianta chorar pelo leite derramado”.

Thanks

Romualdo

Romualdo, what does the same expression mean in Portuguese? Is it exactly the same about spilt milk?

I liked this episode too because it is good advice!

Thanks for listening, as always,

Maura
    Culips Free ESL Podcast

5. zhan1990@hotmail.com' zhanzhan says:

This episode has appeared before in a episode about food idiom. Don’t you remember Maura? You hosted that episode.

Hi Zhanzhan! We try to keep track of all of them, but sometimes idioms come up more than once. Which episode is it? Do you know the name of it? It must be an older episode!

Maura
    Culipd Free ESL Podcast

7. laderon2@yahoo.com' Mark, Russia says:

That’s really a nice idiom. We in Russia don’t have an exact expression but very close to it and it sounds like “tears can’t help your distress” = it’s no use crying if you’re experianceing a distress. Or another one “you can’t change what is done”
    Well, thanks for another cool episode.

8. amrwady1972@hotmail.com' Amr Wady says:

Thanks a million for this episode. :)