Stress!!

StressWinter can be stressful and depressing for some people, especially in Canada. Today we’re going to talk about things people get stressed about and techniques for how to cope with stress. We also use and explain expressions associated with stress. Feel free to leave a comment and tell us how people in your country deal with stress or what they might be stressed about.

Harp Maura btn_lipservice.gif

Maura: Stress is a really sensitive topic, but we’ll try to have fun talking about it in this episode.
Harp: Yes.
Maura: So, first, we’re going to talk about the things that cause stress, so stress factors. Right?
Harp: Yeah. What causes people to feel stress in Canada?
Maura: You know, stress can come from so many different things depending on the person, but there are generally some things that stress people out more than others. So, sometimes people get stressed out from a big event in their lives, like planning a wedding or planning a big trip.

Expressions included from this episode in Lipservice:

Stress Stress out
Layoffs Bright
To catch up on To burn the candle at both ends
To drown in work To keep up
To cope A burnout
There goes… Chill out

Podcast/ Lipservice: Culips ESL Podcast, Photo: stuartpilbrow

Posted in Chatterbox

Comments

1. laderon2@yahoo.com' Mark, Russia says:

Hello, dear culips. Harp and Maura.
    I’m so glad to have run across your awesome podcasts on the internet. Thanks a lot for your nice work and this lovely episode. And I want to ask you, if possible, tell us a bit about those funny expressions like ‘chebluhbeh’, ‘whatchmacallit’ and so forth, they are so cute and not that well given in dictionaries, I for one, had a hard time trying to find one I needed.

Thanks for the suggestion! I was just brainstorming a list of episode ideas. I don’t know “bleblubeh.” Can you explain it more to me?

Maura
    Culips Free ESL Podcast

3. laderon2@yahoo.com' Mark, Russia says:

Well, I feel really embarrassed then. I actually was checking out different ways to call something if you don’t know the name of it or them. You know, sometimes it’s very convennient to say THING or STUFF like that, but sometimes those words are not appropriate. And thus I bumped into the “word” chebluhbeh in my electronic ABBYY Lingvo dictionary in “American Slang” section, and the definition given is the next: “Used when you can’t think of words to form a sentence good enough to say.” There is even an example of the use. Here it is:
    Slim: Yeah, I like that game, too.
    Bob: Chebluhbeh.
    Slim: Exactly.

Looks strange. What can you say about that? Is that the way people can normaly do?
    Thanks

4. amrwady1972@hotmail.com' Amr Wady says:

Oh my gosh, what does it stand for, Maura?

5. xushibo@yahoo.com.cn' Allen says:

Hello! my dear culips. My name is Allen I am a foreign student from China. My English teacher sugest this website to us for a good way to improve our ability of speaking. I download some of the materals from this website, which I find are fascinating and useful. But I can’t get all the details just from the audio part, so I want to get these transcripts, while I don’t know how to handle it. Can you tell me how to do this? Thank you very much.

6. delphia-langley@yahoo.de' Delphia says:

Hi there to all, how is all, I think every one is getting more from this web site, and your views
    are good designed for new people.