Who doesn’t love a good book?

books
In this episode we are talking about books! Harp and Maura review some of their favourite books and talk about why they love them. You’ll also hear about different kinds of books, book-to-movie-adaptations, and e-books, the latest trend in books. Do you read novels in English?

*Some of our listeners asked about speaking even faster. In this episode Maura and Harp sometimes speak faster than our other episodes. How do you like that?

Harp Maura btn_lipservice.gif

Maura: I also like to read when I’m commuting. Now, right now, with my job, I don’t commute and I can’t read on the way. But in the past when I took the bus to work I really liked to read on the way there, especially if it was a good book because it just made the time enjoyable and pass really quickly.
Harp: Yeah, I do that every day, I take my book with me on the bus and the metro and it makes the time go by so fast. Now Maura, let’s go to our next topic of book to movie adaptation.
Maura: There are so many great books that have been turned into movies and it almost seems like a trend lately that Hollywood is taking books and making movies out of them.
Harp: Yeah, definitely. And I think that there are varying degrees of success. I think there are so many movies from great books, but the movie isn’t really good.
Maura: People always talk about that too. After there’s a movie made about a book and many people have read the book, they always ask, “so, was the movie better than the book or was the book better than the movie?” and I would say almost all the time, people enjoy the book better than the movie.
Harp: One hundred per cent, I agree with you. It is very rare for me to see a movie after I have read a book and think the movie is better than the book. I can think of a couple of examples, but typically I like the book better..

Expressions included from this episode in Lipservice:

Books Bookworm
To have my hands on To turn off
A reading list Genre
To be not a big fan A page-turner
To put the book down Lit
A must-see E-books
A hoarder Dorky

Podcast/ Lipservice: Culips ESL Podcast, Photo: Ian Wilson

Posted in Chatterbox

Comments

1. jawad_ali_1989@yahoo.com' Jawad Ali says:

I like this podcast so much……..Thanks Harp and Muara

2. kate.c.chiu@gmail.com' Kate says:

This is a great episode!I have been looking for some books written in English, either fiction or non-ficition, to read for a while. I would like to know some well-written and interesting English books! Why not start a series of episode of books by genre? or a on-line book club for ESL students?
    I have listened to your episode for several months. I really like it! Especially the idioms! That helps me a lot. Please give me more idioms!

3. annacer-mostefa@hotmail.com' Alkhayem says:

Thanks so much Harp and Maura for this interesting episode. Such Podcast will help me to improve very fast. Thanks again.

Thanks for the comments guys! Harp and I are glad people liked this episode because, as we said, there is so much more to talk about.

Mike: I have never read of seen Oliver Twist, or at least not recently enough to remember it! I should check them out.

Kate: That is an excellent idea of starting a book club. You’ve got me thinking now…

Maura
    Culips Free ESL Podcast

5. laderon2@yahoo.com' Mark, Russia says:

Hello everyone. That’s so enteresting to find out that books are still so popular around the Globe. In Moscow (especially in Moscow Tube) people are crazy about reading. 90% of commuters and just passengers are reading during their daily commute. But it usually deals with the so called pulp fiction books. Sometimes they can’t even answer what they are reading about, it’s so terribly sad.

6. albert.85@live.com.mx' Albert says:

Great podcast guys. Im actually reading a book it’s To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper lee. I’ve watched the movie already but, l like more the book than the movie. I think folks are most likely to choose a book than a movie because a book has more details about the story and is more complete. I really recommend you to read this book. Thanks for helping me to improve my English.