Another Canadian Winter

Another Canadian winterIt’s March, and winter is still not finished in Montreal and Canada. Since Harp and Maura love to talk about the weather they decided to devote an entire episode to discussing it. They talk about all the things people do during winter, how snowbirds try to get away from it and how others hibernate! It is also important to participate in lots of outdoor activities, because sometimes you have to embrace it!

Harp Maura btn_lipservice.gif

Harp: We’re gonna break it down into escaping the winter.
Maura: And then we’re gonna talk about hibernation, which means staying inside during the winter.
Harp: And then we’re going to talk about enjoying the winter.
Maura: Yes, which is also important. So first we should clarify what a Canadian winter is like.
Harp: Yes, because surviving winter in Canada is tough business.
Maura: Right. Many countries have winter, but the temperature doesn’t get quite as cold as it does here. Now depending where you are in Canada, the temperature is a bit different, but in winter, the temperature is almost always below zero.
Harp: Yes, and usually quite a bit below. Minus 10, minus 15, but many times it goes to minus 20 or minus 25.
Maura: Oh, minus 20. It makes me feel cold just talking about it. But you’re right. It’s always below zero and often much below zero.
Harp: Yes, I remember one time in Edmonton, for a full week, it was about minus 40.

Expressions included from this episode in Lipservice:

Tough business Below zero
Winter wonderland Snowbirds
RV To drive down
Till All-inclusive resorts
Hibernation to bear
You see/I have to say/To be honest The West Edmonton Mall
Montreal’s Underground City The ice hotel
Jasper Skating on the Ottawa Canal

Podcast/ Lipservice: Culips ESL Podcast, Illustration: Culips ESL Podcast

Posted in Chatterbox

Comments

1. laderon2@yahoo.com' Mark, Russia says:

Yes, being a snowbird is realy good way to escape winter’s cold weather. In our country we have pretty much the same situation (winter – I mean). It’s bitterly cold in winter (down to -30 C) and realy hot in summer (up to +30-35 C). I have never actually been to Kanada yet, but according to your discription here (and in fact I happened to have spent the whole winter and current spring time in Russian Siberia) our climates are very similar to each other.
    Wish you had sunny warm days asap.

2. laderon2@yahoo.com' Mark, Russia says:

Hmm, I’m so curious…when I happened to be in the US (and while watchig movies, listening to whatever) you always hear Fahrenheit gradual system, like “..it’s rather hot today, around 70..” – and that is the great great problem to figur out what the temperature is for me, for we never use this system , only Celsius. And I actually don’t have a clue how to transform Fahrenheits into Celsius. Do you guys in Kanada use the same Fahrenheit grades as Americns do or Celsius?

3. kakizaki@ss.iij4u.or.jp' KOJI KAKIZAKI says:

We have the disaster in Japan. Please pray for us! We will fully recover soon!

We use celsius like most countries in the world. I have the same problem trying to figure out the temperatures in the US too. If I want to know exactly, then I have to use a converter online.

Although I’ve never been to Russia, I am sure out climates are quite similar. They are both generally quite North. Spring has arrived and we are getting temperatures up to 10! How about you over in Russia?

Maura
    Culips Free ESL Podcast

5. laderon2@yahoo.com' Mark, Russia says:

Speaking about Russia we can only speak in general (as well as your country I suppose) – as in some part we have 5-6 months of actual winter, but in some parts spring comes really early in February or so, nothern parts, where a lot of non-russian peoples there is onle one or one and a half month of SUMMER. So it’s all so diffrent.
    Now I’m experiencing the Siberia’s climate and it’s the same you got there in your lovely Montreal. Now it’s around -5 or even 0.

So spring is coming, everything is ready to blossom again, and I wish your site new spring ideas, too. Love yall – you really do great job.

6. laderon2@yahoo.com' Mark, Russia says:

Maura I’m curious again about your expression “a converter” online. What typically comes to my mine after the word on-line is the internet – or more precisely when you have a inet access and you go to the internet – thus you got smth on-line. But I guess you ment pretty diffrent thing, didn’t you? So if I have, let’s say, a dictionary installed to my cellphone or lap-top and I use them without any sort of internet – is it an on-line dictionary as well?

Hi Mark,

Sorry for my late response to this question.

When something is online it means on the Internet always. So, an installed dictionary that does not use the Internet is not an online dictionary.

Maura
    Culips ESL Podcast

8. laderon2@yahoo.com' Mark, Russia says:

OK. Thank you so much. Now I see. Um..would you please tell me is there any difference between TO BEAT A DEAD HORSE and TO FLOG A DEAD HORSE, not in the meaning, sure, but in usage? are they a sort of interchangeable?