Give it 100%!—Culips English Podcast

100 percent In this episode, we talk about ways to say that someone is trying very hard and putting in their best effort. Harp and Maura put their heart and soul into explaining some useful everyday phrases and introducing some new vocabulary related to making an effort. Listen now to find out what Harp’s dad used to say to encourage her to do her homework in high school, as well as Harp’s stubborn teenager response!

Maura btn_lipservice.gif

Harp: For this one, with the heart or the heart and soul, it’s really your passion, ’cause your passion is in your heart and your soul, so it’s something you feel really passionate about.
Maura: Right. Whenever we’re talking about heart, we’re usually referring to emotions and feelings, so whatever this project is, if you put your heart into it, it means that you really put part of who you are into the project.
Harp: Yeah. You’re putting a lot of emotions into the project.
Maura: Right. So that’s why when I hear this example, I think about creativity and different projects where you might have to use your own personality to do a good job.
Harp: Yeah. I definitely think of the artistic side.

Expressions included from this episode in Learning Materials:

To give 100% To give 110%
A tie game/a tie You know
DIY To put everything you’ve got into something
To give it everything you’ve got To put your heart into something
To put your heart and soul into something Artistic flair
Whatever It’s a shame
A rerun The Oprah Winfrey Show

Podcast/ Lipservice: Culips ESL Podcast, Photo: Jeremy Brooks

Posted in Catch Word

Comments

1. bbehrad@gmail.com' Behrad says:

You can not imagine how your website is useful to me and I like it.
    I`m going to immigrate to Canada. by listening your episodes I feel I have a close connection with canada. like I am there.
    I hope it is lasting for ever and I wish the best for your great job.

2. laderon2@yahoo.com' Mark, Russia says:

Hello dear Maura and Harp, and everybody there, thanks again for your great episode. it’s lovely. And why don’t you make a small chatter-box episode to tell us a bit about your ESL project, I mean how did you come up with creating this wonderful resourse for us? That would be so much nice to hear.
    Best wishes.

3. arti22k@poczta.onet.pl' Artur, Poland says:

Hello,
    As a matter of fact, the idea which was brought up by Mark is awesome! It would be an excellent occasion to get know you guys better. You could give us some inside about how do you come up with ideas for episodes. Maybe how do you do the editing, the transcript preparation and the learning materials. Furthermore, how is it extended in time. Personally, I’m very interested in the whole job you do.

Mark and Artur, thanks for the idea. We love the idea! We are always thinking of ways to connect us to our listeners a little bit more. We’ll get to work on that episode right away…and you’ll see that it takes at least a few weeks to be uploaded.

Maura
    Culips English Podcast

5. laderon2@yahoo.com' Mark says:

Oh, that’s really amasing! Can’t wait to get it!
    I also got a little question to you concerning your pronounciation – so basicly Standart American English (like the one from CNN an so forth) is quite nasal – I mean the way it sounds makes me feel as they speak throuth their nose – I can’t hear that kind of stuff from all of you, and since I don’t have much resources from Kanada I would like to know if it is some kind of Kanadian accent, or the way people sound in Montreal?

6. lizard1982@wp.pl' lizard1982 says:

Hi there! I was listening to your podcasts and I love your voices :) Now I know this podcast site totally fits the bill for me. I’m from Poland and I have no idea how can I sign up.